Recognizing Addiction Signs Early
If you are concerned that a loved one may have a drinking problem or a problem with substance abuse, you’re not alone. Recognizing the warning signs of drug or alcohol abuse early on can make a major difference when it comes to the length of time that it takes for the user to get well once he or she enters treatment. Here’s a look at what you should be watching out for and how you can tell that there is a need for addiction treatment:
Those who are addicted to drugs or alcohol will be unable to control their use of these substances despite your warnings or their own desire to do so. They will continue to use drugs or to drink alcohol even when it causes physical harm or costs them their relationships, their career or their own mental well-being. Dependence on drugs or alcohol is marked by very strong cravings to use and a number of harsh consequences but despite the reality of how bad the consequences are, the user may need help to stop.
The following signs warrant the need for treatment:
- being unable to quit drinking or using drugs despite a desire to do so
- suffering from physical withdrawal symptoms when less of the drug or alcohol is used
- isolation from others in order to use drugs or to drink
- isolation from activities and hobbies that were once fun
- problems with relationships as a result of drug or alcohol use
- denying that there is a problem
- legal troubles that result from driving impaired, getting caught with drugs or another instance of drug or alcohol abuse
- financial troubles that occur from job loss or overspending on drugs or alcohol
- risky behaviors while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- blacking out while under the influence
- doing whatever it takes to get more drugs or alcohol when supply runs low
If you or someone you love needs treatment for addiction, call 1-888-885-4616 to speak with a treatment specialist today. Counselors are ready to take your call and answer any questions you have about addiction treatment as well as to help you find a localized treatment solution that will work for you.