How an Addiction Treatment Program Can Help
An addiction treatment program may the best solution for you to overcome your addiction. Addiction treatment programs help to specifically target areas of addiction that you would have a hard time overcoming on your own. There are various ways in which treatment programs are effective and by exploring these options and researching different treatment programs you will find one that specifically meets your needs.
What is Addiction?
According to www.addictionsandrecovery.org, in order for a person to medically be considered as having an addiction to a substance they must meet three of the following criteria:
- Tolerance – Has your drug and/or alcohol intake increased over time?
- Withdrawal – Have you experienced physical or emotional withdrawals when you have stopped using? Emotional withdrawal is just as important as physical withdrawal.
- Limited control – Do you sometimes drink or use drugs more than you would like? Does one drink lead to more drinks sometimes?
- Negative consequences – Have you continued to use even though there have been negative consequences to your mood, self-esteem, health, job, or family?
- Neglected or postponed activities – Have you ever put off or reduced social, recreational, work, or household activities because of your use?
- Significant time or energy spent – Have you spent a significant amount of time obtaining, using, concealing, planning, or recovering from your use? Have you spend a lot of time thinking about using? Have you ever thought of schemes to avoid getting caught?
- Desire to cut down – Have you sometimes thought about cutting down or controlling your use? Have you ever made unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control your use?
Why you need Help for a Treatment Program
Above all else, treatment programs have the resources such as medications and trained staff that will provide you with the strength and recovery steps to overcome your addiction. It may not seem noteworthy, but studies have shown that support and understanding helps people to overcome their addictions. At a treatment program you will not feel embarrassed or judged from your habit because you will be surrounded by people who understand what you are going through as well as staff that is there to help you feel comfortable.
One of the best aspects of treatment programs is the fact that there are thousands of them located throughout the country. There are addition treatment programs that solely focus on particular drugs or addictions as well as treatments centers that are religious base if you are a religious person. All addiction treatment programs have the goal in mind to help you overcome your addiction, but they all have their own philosophy and tactics at getting you there. These are qualities that will help you make a choice on a treatment center and that will help you feel at peace when you choose one to go to. You should aim to choose a treatment program that you will feel safe and relaxed in, which is why there are a multitude of options for you to choose from.